Setting up a WordPress.com blog
The bare-bones basics to starting your own WP.com blog
If you are eager to get started blogging in a minimal amount of time, WordPress.com makes it easy to quickly get to that point. There’s just a handful of steps to take before you can put the virtual pen to paper and publicize your thoughts, writing, and pictures:
- Go to WordPress.com and click on “Get a Free Site”
- Fill out the form (similar to the one on the right)– this involves also choosing your web address in the form of mywonderfulblog.wordpress.com, which you cannot change at a later time like you can your blog’s name. However, you can set up a whole new blog should you decide later that you would like a different site address.
- You could also choose to purchase a domain name through WordPress, rather than having the “.wordpress.com” part of it; this does cost you $18 per domain, per year.
- Click on over to your email and activate your WordPress account, which will redirect back over to WP
- Click on through the options, if you wish (all of these options will be available to you after, too, if you want to skip it for the moment); you can: follow other interesting blogs and connect with friends on social networking sites.
- Decide on your blog’s title, language, and tagline (if you don’t know what you want to put, try thinking of the overall goal/theme/purpose of your blog–or else leave it blank, since the standard “Just another WordPress site” is just boring. :)
- Choose a theme (which you can always switch later; fyi, the free themes are mixed up with “premium” themes on this page)
- Customize your theme, if you wish (save & publish!)
- Write or publish a picture for your first post!
- Click on over to the “My Blog” tab, then “Dashboard” to go to your blog’s backend–with so many more options for changing and adding to your blog’s look and content.
As a blogger, website maintainer and more, with a B.A. in Journalism, I'd love to have the opportunity to set up a blog (like this one) for you! Click "hire me" for details!